Memorial: M6599

Memorial formerly at Temple Church, City of London to William Cock d. 1724


Temple Church, City of London, England


‘Near this Pillar Lies / The body of William Cock Esqr / Descended from an Ancient Family, of the / Town and County of New-Castle upon Tyne. /He was at first at Volunteer in the Royal Navy and / initiated in Action at the ever famous / Battle of La / Hogue in 1692, under the Command of the Honble George / Churchill (Brother to the Renowned John Duke of Marlbroh) / Who being convinced of his Springing Worth and Spectator / of his Active and courageous Behaviour / from that Time became / His Friend and Patron. After which he was honoured with the / command of sundry ships of war in the Several Reigns of King / William the third, Queen Anne of Blessed Memory, (to whom / his Heart and service were entirely devoted) and also of his / present Majesty King George: in which services he acquitted / Himself with Zeal and Fidelity to his Prince and Country. He was an able and expert officer, stead and always collected in Ac / tion, Abounded in polite Litterature, / of an exquisite and clear / Judgement and Usefull Science: Never was a more sincere friend / or a greater Enemy to Dissimu - / lation, Equalled by Few, Excelled by None, in the / constant Practice of all social virtues. At length on the 26th / of November 1724 / He paid the inevitable Debt of / Nature and entred / into Immortality, Most deservedly / lamented by his / Companions in several Naval Engagements / wherein He eminently distinguished / Himself, and by All Others that knew / his many excellent Qualities / Aetat: 49.’


Description: White marble, oval cartouche, surmounted by a coat of arms, flanked by naval and military trophies.
Type: Wall memorial
Position: South west of the round
Materials: White marble


Battle of La Hogue

Event Date


Event Category

War of the English Succession


Cock, William
Age: 49
Date of Death: 26/11/1724
Cause of Death: unknown
Rank / Occupation: unknown
Organisation: Royal Navy


Notes: This memorial was apparently destroyed during the bombing of Temple Church on 10 May 1941.
Bibliography: Mrs Arundell Esdaile ‘Temple Church Monuments’ (1933, London) p. 136
Recorder: B. Tomlinson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *